Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentines Day Love it or Love it



Valentines day... That stupid commercialized holiday that sneaks up on you every damn year and shoves the dumb ideals that buying candy and flowers for your loved one makes up for all the times you failed in the past year.

Valentines day... That wonderful holiday where you get to show the one you love how much you care for them and shower them with flowers, chocolates and little surprises.The most anticipated holiday where you get to openly show the one you love how much you care for them.

I feel like it's either one view or the other and I have fallen victim to both. Since having a baby nothing is about me anymore and I am ok with that. Valentines day isn't about getting candy and going out to a nice dinner anymore, it's not about finding the right card for my loved one, and it's not about being romantic for one special night.

Priorities change when you become a mom and you soon realize how silly it is to hate a holiday based on love. So this is my current take on the most loved/dreaded holiday.

Embrace it. Even if you are not in a relationship make an effort to call that loved one you've been meaning to for weeks, take your pets for a long walk or even better, treat yourself to a nice night out or a nice night in. It's not about being in a relationship like the commercialized world has led us to believe but the people/animals in our lives that bring us the most love.  I think Valentines day is important in reminding us to value the significant relationships in our lives.

Love Valentine's Day! Don't hate just to hate. That's what hipsters are for. It's not cool to hate a holiday that is based on the sole thing people yearn for in their lives. When i used to think Valentine's day was stupid, I just hadn't realized the true meaning behind it. Everyone has love in their heart and everyone should just embrace it once a year. My Valentine this year is 18 pounds and the sweetest thing you have ever seen. I love her everyday but I think Valentines Day comes around to make me stop and take it all in. There are days when I think I can't go on, days where I feel so incompetent as a mother and days where I want to ship her off because I can't listen to her cry anymore. I don't love her any less when I have these moment of doubt, but Valentine's day is here to show me to take a step back and realize how lucky I am!

I am soooo Lucky! This has been the most amazing 6 months of my life and I wouldn't change a moment of that for the world. I get to be a mom to the most amazing beautiful baby girl in the whole world. I love every moment spent with her and I love that Valentine's Day is here for me to acknowledge that for me. I love Valentine's day now and i will always. Thank you Charlotte for showing me why.





Sorry this was all over the place! :)

1 comment: